Tuesday 16 June 2009

Video sharing

I've posted a new short movie to Youtube. It shows the sun coming in over a field of sheep and is the movie equivalent of watching paint dry. Monitoring the viewings since it went up last night: despite cross promoting on Twitter and MySpace, only about 20 hits. So far I can't get any sensible metrics on this - the location, demographics, etc. of viewers. I might also need to consider tagging it better.

Now I have a comment via FaceBook to the effect that the shaky camera work detracts from the movie. I thought the whole point of these citizen movies was that the quality was so bad that it was good, if you get my meaning. More to the point, there is so little happening in the movie that the shaking is often the only clue that this is a movie rather than a still.

I'm still not sure about the backing music. I chose Flight of the Bumblebee a) because it is a cracking good tune, and b) because it is the right sort of length. But as OH commented last night, with an uptempo tune you are expecting something to happen. Which it doesn't. I might go back and replace Rimsky Korsakov with something slower.

I've also found that embedding the movie in the blog is cool, but next time I edit the blog the embedded item disappears. Next thing to work out is linking new blog posts to Twitter and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment